Monday, May 19, 2008

Tough Times in AZ


I almost DIED in the heat today. It was 85 degrees out and almost dead still. I watered the gardens and my catalpa trees are FINALLY putting out leaves! It was touch and go for a while there. They had started leafing back in CA but the move killed all their new growth as well as the top segment of each one :*( and I thought they might be goners.

But fear not! For they are budding once more. They are so beautiful, really tropical looking with their foot long leaves and huge clusters of white flowers. They grow fast, too, which is cool: 18 inches a year and aywhere from 50 to even 90 feet tall!!!! I'm just so relieved that they're pulling through.

My clematis is too!! Same thing happened to its new growth, but it's put out four new vines, between 8- 12 inches each! Yay!

Anyhoo, as I was saying, it was a rough day. Not only was it hot and windless, I had to stare at this ugly sky! I know! It's like my own private hell. Or torture chamber. I got to- I mean, I HAD to water the gardens in that weather with that sky, man, I am so unlucky.

Buuuuuuut.... I think I'll stick it out. Working 50 hours a week toughened me up for this sort of thing. I wonder if I should start getting up before noon... NAH.

P.S. I know, you want to strangle me, don't you.

P.P.S. OMG. There is now, I cannot believe it... RECYCLING IN TOWN!!!! Sorry Cali, you just ain't got anything over AZ anymore.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Only 85 degrees? Heck, it was over 100, here in the old S L Valley, this past weekend. And it's only the middle of May. Global climate change anyone?

Mrstx said...

Oh yes that is another thing spectacular about Arizona. Best.sunsets.ever!

Anonymous said...

and here it is thurs overcast a bit rainy and 45! where else can you get all 4 seasons in one week? although i am partial to heat it is a beautiful day! our little green houses on the plants are keepin em cozy and growing.....

beautiful photos lara, love you, mumsish