Friday, June 8, 2007

Volunteer Work


I have lots of help in my garden. Here, Pheonix samples the onions, lest I pick them before they are ready. What a pal! All of my garden is in pots, because the soil is like 90% clay. The first year we were here, that little hillside was barren. But this year, look at all the lush greenery! Volunteers! I love them! Most people would call them weeds. They have teeny tiny little flowers though, so they're not. I swear.


Here Lilly inspects for aphids. This is a young peach tree that volunteered to sprout in the clematis pot. There are a few aphids on my rose bush, but I saw a ladybug in my garden today, another volunteer! Lilly is also good at supervising. If Clarence steps out of line she gives him a good whack. And speaking of young Clarence...


What a hunter! Saving the worms from certain death so that they may continue to enrich the soil! A couple of people at work have been having mole problems, and discuss all sorts of weird ways to get rid of them, from smoke to poisin to snakes! I always suggest a cat (feeling a bit guilty about the negative influence cats have on the bird and rodent populations, ecosystem wise it's kinda bad) but they always dismiss that option. Ok, maybe cats are bad, but I think it's better than poisoning the land... and I have to tell them how proud I am of their mighty prowess. Because they can understand me. I'm so kidding! Back off with the straight jacket!

Anyway, everyone pitches in around here, and there's lots of volunteers. My garden is it's own little community. Now if only I can train one of the cats to turn on the hose... Again! With the kidding!

P.S. No blooms yet... Arrrrg it's so hard to wait!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute ones :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Weeds?
To borrow a phrase...
What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any another name would smell as sweet.
I suppose the same could be said about weeds...volunteers...